Thursday, December 4, 2008

Among the Living

Some days it is easy to feel peppy and alive. Not so much atother times. On Wednesday I had a procedure that was simple, but brought me great anxiety. It was simple, to help relieve back pain after an accident, but I had been dreading it completely. Dreading it so much so that I lost sleep the night before. I felt like I was more among the dead than the living, and at some point later in the day, after the procedure was done, I fell asleep, sitting up with a cup of coffee in my hand - which fell out of my hand dousing me completely, as well as the floor and surrounding area. Sometimes we feel like we are barely alive, and each day for many can be a great struggle. But God, despite all of our struggles and exhaustion, is right here in the midst of the living, sharing the joy and sorrow, animating love among the living, no matter how well or poorly we feel.
"He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive." Luke 20:39

Today I want to live with a sense of God in the midst of the living, a Creator who sees us alive and full of potential, even when we are dead on our feet, trapped in a rut, stuck without a map or a paddle. God promises to be with us, paddle, map and light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes I forget that when I get anxious. Sometimes, I think the past was better, that others have it easier, or God seems far off from this weary world. But for today, I want to live, alive to the electric sense of God, shimmering and moving in our midst, God who sees not our failure but our potential, not our mistakes but our brilliance reflected in the sun. Today, let's all try to be alive, with a measure of God's spirit - a world waits for the touch of love.

No comments: