Monday, April 16, 2012

Blessing Along the Way


“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” John 14:1-7

God can find us in many languages and in many places. My experiences over the weekend have reminded how we use certain passages from the bible, or certain church rules to exclude others. In the passage from John, which we often read at funerals, we find that the disciples are confused and anxious and Jesus speak words of comfort and peace. They have confusion and darkness in their hearts. The world is changing around them and their new teacher has challenged them to expand their thinking and their faith. Jesus know their are troubled. He speaks words of beauty, of rooms and space for each and every one of us.

God knows that sometimes we are all troubled, overwhelmed by deep darkness and pain. Rejection and loss have surrounded some of us. I heard many stories of pain and loss over the weekend. I shared some stories of my own. God knows we are troubled and worn out by burdens to heavy to bear. We are broken some times, but we are never alone and God's activity is making new space for us, bringing new light and possibilities to bear in our densest sorrows, carrying healing and love along the way. So as I travel home today, I share the prayer that was shared during the communion and the Lord's prayer in Navajo, to remind us all that even when we think we are alone, God is there. May this be a blessing to all today.

In beauty I walk

With beauty before me I walk

With beauty behind me I walk

With beauty above me I walk

With beauty around me I walk

It has become beauty again

Hózhóogo naasháa doo
Shitsijí’ hózhóogo naasháa doo
Shikéédéé hózhóogo naasháa doo
Shideigi hózhóogo naasháa doo
T’áá altso shinaagóó hózhóogo naasháa doo
Hózhó náhásdlíí’
Hózhó náhásdlíí’
Hózhó náhásdlíí’
Hózhó náhásdlíí’




No comments: