Saturday, July 21, 2012

Body and Blood



Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.” Matthew 26:26-29

When I picture my family I think about the places we most commonly gathered - around a meal table or in a pew at church. We would often sing in both places. My Dad loved to get out his old service hymnals and have us sing after dinner. There are hymns that can take me back to those times, things that remind me of the living presence of those I no longer see. Those small, intimate moments of a meal or a pew shared, remind me of the power of love in my life, no matter where I find myself.

Jesus has a final meal with his friends and shared bread and wine with them. This moment has become central to who we are as Christians, the bread and wine around the table with family. A shared meal that draws us back together and into the powerful love of God, a meal that draws us beyond our human frailties and binds us with strength and the everlasting power of God's blessing in our lives. We are encouraged today to remember what God's love has done for us and continues to do for us today as we share with others.

Today I ask God to rebuild in me God's love and power through sharing with others. May the sacrifice of Christ be made real, as we gather to serve one another. May we be made one family, with all our frailties and challenges, as we recognize and trust in God's love and power in our lives.

No comments: