Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Eve





Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” So the Pharisees said to him, “You are bearing witness about yourself; your testimony is not true.” Jesus answered, “Even if I do bear witness about myself, my testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In your Law it is written that the testimony of two people is true. I am the one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me.” They said to him therefore, “Where is your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also. John 8:12-19


This will be a new experience for us. The ball will drop in New York City at 8 pm our time. This being our first New Year's Eve in Alaska, it will be a new learning experience. Christmas was a lovely and new experience here so I am looking forward to new experiences in this day. Living this far north and this far west really changes one's perspective. We see things in a whole new light and are sometimes challenged by the lack of daylight this time of year. I am hopeful and joyful for s new year as the light returns and we experience the wonders of Southeast Alaska and her amazing people.

Jesus says clearly that he is, " the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” The religious authorities are furious with him for breaking protocol and talking about himself using traditional and familiar words. They are stunned by his boldness and by his knowledge of their codes and cultures. He is an outsider to them, he is not one of the elite and yet he overwhelms them with understanding. God invites us to walk in the light of Christ today rather than being dazzled by the flash limelight provided by humans. God's light is permanent and constant, ours are fireworks and bulbs that fizzle out.

Today I ask God to help me walk in the light. May God's light surround us, be embedded in us and go with us on our way. May we not be captivated by temporary dazzle and pop but rather welcome the light of the world with all our hearts. May this coming year be one where we are radiant with love and compassion, shunning the darkness of greed and selfishness and offering all that we have for the welfare of all. May we walk in the light of the world.

No comments: