Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My Yoke is Easy

At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:25-30

When I was a child, whenever there would be a power outage and the lights would go out, my father would declare, "many hands make light work!" We would then all throw our hands in the air waiting for the return of the power and light. He loved having a big family and joking with us. We knew that is was silly but it also relieved our anxiety and fears and reminded us that love can make even the darkest moments light.

Jesus prays to God, giving thanks for the gifts of love, which are often so hidden from the serious and so very evident to children. Jesus delights in the honest understanding of this. He also reminds us all that if we come to him as a child, needy and honest, we will find rest. Love finds a way to lightened the burden and to make the yoke easy. God invites us all to seek God because love seeks us out, love desire to be known to us. God aches to lighten our burden and give us comfort and rest.

Today I ask God to help me open my heart as a child. May we live today as people who have been relieved of a burden, who are safe in the arms of God. And in our comfort and assurance, may we share the love we have been given, so that those we meet today might have the burdens of their lives lifted.

No comments: