Monday, March 3, 2014

In the Olive Grove


Simon Peter and another disciple were following Jesus. Because this disciple was known to the high priest, he went with Jesus into the high priest's courtyard, but Peter had to wait outside at the door. The other disciple, who was known to the high priest, came back, spoke to the girl on duty there, and brought Peter in.

"Surely you are not another of this man's disciples?" the girl at the door asked Peter.

He replied, "I am not."

It was cold, and the servants and officials stood around a fire they had made to keep warm. Peter also was standing with them, warming himself.

As Simon Peter stood warming himself, he was asked, "Surely you are not another of his disciples?"

He denied it, saying, "I am not."

One of the high priest's servants, a relative of the man whose ear Peter had cut off, challenged him, "Didn't I see you with him in the olive grove?" Again Peter denied it, and at that moment a rooster began to crow. John 18:15-18, 25-27


In the Olive Grove

In the dense and dark shadows
I hid in fear trembling, watching
as they bound you and took you away
I cowered in the darkness and cried.

I waited a long time until calm restored
the night noises only of nesting animals
the stars were bright my heart was dark
I wanted to see where you'd gone.

You loved me better than a parent could
forgave me my stumbling, my many mistakes
you made me believe that God was with us
and now I have broken your heart.

They found me hiding in shadow
watching as they tortured and teased
a girl betrayed me to their leaders
and I betrayed you before them all.

I cannot escape what I have done
over and over denial from my lips
and you would still welcome me back
and forgive before I even asked.

That night in the olive grove
I lost my faith and gained it back
fear, denial, rage and hurt
were but a blink of an eye to love.

No comments: