Monday, June 1, 2015

Blessed are You

In those days Mary set out and went with haste to a Judean town in the hill country, where she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the child leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and exclaimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And why has this happened to me, that the mother of my Lord comes to me? For as soon as I heard the sound of your greeting, the child in my womb leaped for joy. And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her by the Lord."
And Mary said,
"My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name." Luke 1:39-49
 
 
 Blessed are You - Song of Elizabeth

O Child, we could have never
never imagine the possibility
the possibility that the impossible
would ever happen to the two of us.

O Child, we are seriously distant cousins
distant in age and distant in experience
yet we have been chosen for miracles
miracles that will change the world.
 
O Child, before this time they did not notice
did not notice two poor women serving God
two poor, one old and one so very young
and to us has come the responsibility of ages.
 
O Child, we are the bearers of love for the world
bearing those who will embody God's love
bearing the shame and the distrust of the world
we will bear it all for the sake of the world.
 
O Child, experience has taught me much
experience has taught me that women like us
are no more than chattel and common goods
common goods who will welcome the Divine king.
 
O Child, you are holy and blessed
you are cursed and burdened as well
we will carry our burdens together like sisters
cousins no more, carrying blessings the world craves.
 
O Child, your sacrifice and mine will establish love
our lives will be a light to all women who doubt
those who doubt that God desires and blesses our lives
will look to us for strength for the journey.


 

No comments: