Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Take Up Your Cross

He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, "if any want to become my follwers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their  life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? Those who are ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful   generation  of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in glory of his Father withthe holy angels." Mark 8:34-38

Some days our work in the  church,  particularly whe  we are mired in intense disagreements and complex problem solving, can seem like a cross. These are the blessing and gifts of our ministries. At least for me, my crosses are those when I feel helpless to do anything. When there is such human suffering get and ugly violence breakso out, that is where I feel drawn to the cross and  you own cross. That helplessness always leads me back in to God'said arms.

Jesus challenges the people to not expect easy road and to embrace
 challenges as gifts from God.  We are never alone in our burdens as Jesusproceeds us to the cross and gave his all for all.

Today as  I sit in another meeting I ask God to help me see the blessings surrounding me. May we be mindful of our manifold blessings which often lose focus due to our personal struggles.


  

No comments: