Friday, November 4, 2016

Hen Gathers Her Brood


At that very hour some Pharisees came and said to Jesus, “Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you.” He said to them, “Go and tell that fox for me, ‘Listen, I am casting out demons and performing cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish my work. Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside of Jerusalem.’ Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say, ‘Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.’” Luke 13.31-35 

I am a mother, no matter how old my children become. No matter how adult and grown up they are, and they truly are adult and capable, I ache to gather them and protect them. When I see one of them hurting, struggling or stumbling, I want to intervene. I know I have overstepped the boundaries some times. I have said and done things that were no longer my right, even though I am their mother. Most of the time they forgive me and understand that I am a bit of a nutcase anyway. That kind of fierce mother love is not diminished with age, distance or time.

That kind of love, fierce mother love, is the kind of love that Jesus had for Jerusalem, and for all of us today. It seems overwhelming at times. Other times we wish we had someone to scoop us up and hide us, nestled in safety under warm, soft wings. We are invited today, in the midst of troubled and conflicted times to seek the safety and security of God's love, trusting in the protection and care that is so readily offered, so readily given.

Today I ask God to help me set fear aside and trust that God is looking out for the welfare of the world. Give us all strength to do our part, to be God's loving and compassionate arms in this darkening world.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Thank you, Bishop Carol. So aware of my own need to breathe out fear and breathe in love----for me most powerfully at this moment in the glorious beauty and resilience of our dear Earth. Glad we are breathing together. Love and respect to you.