Sunday, January 1, 2017

Christmas 2016-17 Mary Letter Day 34


When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made known to us." So they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the child lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known what had been told them about this child; and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them. After eight days had passed, it was time to circumcise the child; and he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb. Luke 2:15-21


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

today the tender little boy was circumcised and named! His name is Jesus as the angel told us. The ceremony itself was troublesome for me, and even though I knew what was coming, I could not bear to watch! I sat to the side as the men did what they had to do. He was a good baby but couldn't help but cry, surrounded by so many bearded old men and his mother no where to be seen. There are some customs that I will never understand but I do know that God has a reason for it all. Just because I don't like it, and don't understand it, doesn't mean that God isn't using this moment for good purposes. The old rabbi really took a liking to baby Jesus and asked us to stay in town for as long as we would like. He said they would help us with whatever we need after hearing our story. Joseph may also have some work here while Jesus and I rest up for the journey home.

The air has been cool and the sun warm these last few days, so I have taken to sitting in the sun on the small porch here and letting the baby be surrounded by fresh air and birdsong. Our dwelling is quite dark and that dark makes me sad and homesick sometimes. The wise women check on me daily and said we both need to bathe in the air and the sun. They like to sit out with me too, playing with our little one and telling their stories. I wasn't sure I would like this place or these people, but the company of these women has changed my heart. I am grateful for every hour they spend with us!

Please pass on the news to Mama and Papa. We'll be home soon and can catch them up but I really don't want them to be scared or worried.

Love always,

Mary

No comments: