Saturday, February 11, 2017

Take Heart


They came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples and a large crowd were leaving Jericho, Bartimaeus son of Timaeus, a blind beggar, was sitting by the roadside. When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” Many sternly ordered him to be quiet, but he cried out even more loudly, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” Jesus stood still and said, “Call him here.” And they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take heart; get up, he is calling you.” So throwing off his cloak, he sprang up and came to Jesus. Then Jesus said to him, “What do you want me to do for you?” The blind man said to him, “My teacher, let me see again.” Jesus said to him, “Go; your faith has made you well.” Immediately he regained his sight and followed him on the way. Mark 10:46-52

We have been a bit overwhelmed with weather these last few days. The first came overnight Tuesday before a planned trip to the hospital in Boston. Then all day Thursday it snowed, so the meeting I was to attend that day was online. Then yesterday we traveled into the city for the rest of the meeting and were overwhelmed by snow again overnight. The drive home was slow and slushy. It is easy to panic when one can't see very well, or have much control of the car on snowy, icy roads. We can be overwhelmed by what we cannot accomplish. But I know God was and is with us breathing out 'take heart", when we are most afraid and isolated.

Jesus was traveling in Jericho and heard the cries of a man who was blind. Some of the followers of the incarnate God were silencing him, but Jesus wanted to know his need. God in the flesh wanted to heal him. And God, among us still, wants to bring us the healing and transformation we need. God incarnate seeks out the isolated, the broken and the needy, everyday and in every place.

Today I ask God to strengthen my resolve and my voice. May I not hold back but reach out in love, voicing the needs of the silenced and having faith where faith has been broken by violence and pain.

No comments: