Friday, April 14, 2017

Denial - Good Friday


Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered, “Where I am going, you cannot follow me now; but you will follow afterward.” Peter said to him, “Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Very truly, I tell you, before the cock crows, you will have denied me three times.” John 13:36-38 

Denial 


Today is the day where we face the truth
steel and rough wood and torn flesh
sent to death for our sin, our folly
as the innocent was taken away we denied him.

There is blood on our hands and our faces
we would be safe before we would be faithful
we would skirt the responsibility if possible
better yet put it wholly on another.

What he did we remember this day
our selfishness, hubris and neglect
sent him to a criminal and a terrorist's fate
destruction for him who showed our sins.

We warmed our hands by the fire
accepting thirty pieces of silver for it all
we cried Barabbas with the rest of the crowd
we let him wash our feet and we slept.

Years have passed and yet we still
choose convenience rather than compassion
bargain with the known evil in our world
instead of building sanctuaries of love.

Today is the day we face the truth
a day of steel, rough wood and torn flesh
one alone suffered for our barbarism
one alone suffers still as the bombs fall.

No comments: