Monday, June 26, 2017

Worries of This Life


Then Jesus told them a parable: “Look at the fig tree and all the trees; as soon as they sprout leaves you can see for yourselves and know that summer is already near. So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom of God is near. Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
“Be on guard so that your hearts are not weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of this life, and that day does not catch you unexpectedly, like a trap. For it will come upon all who live on the face of the whole earth. Be alert at all times, praying that you may have the strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.”Luke 21:29-36 

I would like to believe that I am calm about the future and all, but it is not true. I can get caught up in worry, weighing my heart down anxiety about the things I cannot control. It seems a most human sport this thing called worry. It is not drunkenness or dissipation, but it does burden the heart so much that we cannot see the cooling, calming forest for the trees of our discontent. I am always praying when all else fails rather than praying when the first twinge of worry bothers my heart.

Jesus invites us to be alert at all times, praying for strength in every moment. We are invited not be give in to the petty distractions of life, even when they seem like unbearable burdens. Our first movement should always be to prayer, rather than worry, the bottle or any other numbing devise. As we move towards prayer at all times, God promises to increase our strength and endurance.

Today, I ask God to help me, every time I feel anxiety raise up in my being, to turn to prayer for strength to combat it. May we call know that God has promised to be faithful in much. We will know that faithfulness as we focus not on our small worries but on service to our brothers and sisters in need.

No comments: