Saturday, September 23, 2017

Doing and Teaching


Jesus said, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:17-20 

Tomorrow many bishops and some spouses will be flying out to villages from Fairbanks for a day visit. We will listen and celebrate with the people. We all have much more to learn than we have to teach. Many who will travel have never traveled to remote villages and imagine an experience like something from the previous century. It will be a gift to be with the people of Tanana tomorrow, however briefly. I expect my understanding of present day life of Indigenous people in Alaska will change after this trip. I have so much more to learn, even as an Indigenous person. So little to give, except love, and so much to be given by their welcome.

Jesus, speaking to his followers didn't want them act or behave in a superior fashion. Even if they felt they had received a great gift in knowing him, he expected from them even greater humility and compassion. A willingness to be patient and forbearing with all, helping everyone in their journey. A life lived for others.

Today, as we set out, I ask God to help me live this day, and every day, humbly and with great compassion. May my energy for and patience with others be steady and strong. May we all live for others so that they may know the truly loving heart of God.

No comments: