Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Come Unto Me





Jesus said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  Matthew 11:25–30







Yesterday, I flew from Boston to Helena. These two places are very different worlds. Different world in the same country, which sometimes have very little in common and much to separate them. And yet, I live and work in both places, and find a home despite radical difference. I revel in the beauty of each place. One dry with big, wide open skies, the other with moist cluttering of buildings and trees. The leaves are turning and dropping in both places. God loves me in both places, and God created the vast array of difference as an expression of the Creator's love for all. Today is the feast of St. Francis of Assisi, who has helped many generations to love all, and to serve all of creation, as the expression of God in our midst.

Jesus speaks to the crowd in a prayer and we hear the invitation to all. Jesus excludes no one by inviting all who are weary - since we all are weary and heavy leaden. None of us is without the need for rest and refreshment. We all need to be held and comforted. And Jesus tells us that the Creator of all, invites all to be come and receive blessings. Nothing or no one is excluded.

Today, I ask God to help me see God in every moment, in every expression of creation before me. May we follow the lead of St. Francis by praying and living love for all creation.


Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.




The Collect
Most high, omnipotent, good Lord, grant your people grace to renounce gladly the vanities of this world; that, following the way of blessed Francis, we may for love of you delight in your whole creation with perfectness of joy; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments: