Monday, June 25, 2018

Why Are You Afraid?


When evening had come, Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go across to the other side.” And leaving
 the crowd behind, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. Other boats were with him. 
A great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that the boat was already being swamped.
 But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke him up and said to him, “Teacher, do you
 not care that we are perishing?” He woke up and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace! 
Be still!” Then the wind ceased, and there was a dead calm. He said to them, “Why are you afraid? 
Have you still no faith?” And they were filled with great awe and said to one another, “Who then is
 this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?” Mark 4:35-41


Why Are You Afraid?

I used to jump from the perilous heights
of refrigerators, furniture and sand dunes
fearless with youth and cartoons in mind
I used to be fearless when all protected me.

I was willing to follow my big brother
into the woods into the darkest storms
there was no fear when the fearful when first
no worries when mom was around the corner.

I have taken a few corners alone in life
seen some things I cannot remove from sight
lost too many friends as illness barreled in
grew to realized some nightmares are real.

This present storm might be the end one
it might stop the love and joy that I treasure
the precious faces no longer gazed upon
the darling hands no longer held tight.

I am afraid because I admit to being human
I wake in the night trembling for the losses
I weep in the long afternoons when they
should be surrounding, protecting us all.

No comments: