Saturday, September 22, 2018

Welcome a Child

                


Jesus and his disciples passed through Galilee. He did not want anyone to know it; for he was teaching 
his disciples, saying to them, “The Son of Man is to be betrayed into human hands, and they will kill
 him,  and three days after being killed, he will rise again.” But they did not understand what he was
 saying  and were afraid to ask him.
Then they came to Capernaum; and when he was in the house he asked them, “What were you arguing
 about on the way?” But they were silent, for on the way they had argued with one another who was the
 greatest. He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, “Whoever wants to be first must be last of 
all and servant of all.” Then he took a little child and put it among them; and taking it in his arms, 
he said to them, “Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever
 welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.” Mark 9:30-37

I am a mother of three, a grandmother of three, step grandmother of four and love children. They
delight my soul. And, my children could wear me out and bring me to tears almost instantly. They 
all the buttons to push, exacerbating me in already exhausted and stressed situations. They would
complain about not being pretty enough, smart enough, cool enough etc. We didn't have the money
to but them the latest trends. I could not convince them that they were incredibly beautiful, wondrous 
to behold and capable of real magic. They all have hearts full of love and serve up kindness and care
every day. Their sweet breath and wildness of childhood is moderated, yet, despite myself,
I miss their noise and mess. Welcoming children into one's life is hard, exhausting work.

Jesus knew his disciples didn't really understand what was before them, and did not know what to ask, 
let alone how to ask. His response to their argument was to tell them to welcome a child.  We don't
 know whose child it was, but we can surmise that the child was well known to Jesus. This child was
 a delight and a torment to his family, as all children are. The beloved child proffered to the disciples
was probably messy from a meal and play with those grubby fingers that leave marks everywhere. 
This is who Jesus invites us to welcome when we are worry about our future, or about our station or
place. We are invited to get down, listen to the shrieks, kneel in the mess, realizing again that is 
where we find God. Our Love Divine is not found in the thrones or the oval offices but in the 
kitchen and playrooms of our lives.

Today I ask God to help me welcome the child in myself and in everyone else. May we embrace the
mess of our lives, not trying to fix things, but instead focusing every moment on welcome and embrace.

The Collect
Grant us, Lord, not to be anxious about earthly things, but to love things heavenly; and even now, 
while we are placed among things that are passing away, to hold fast to those that shall endure;
 through  Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, 
for ever and ever. Amen.




No comments: