Saturday, June 8, 2019

The Better Part


Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42 


I am one of four sisters. My mother was one of three sisters. Some are more work and role oriented and others are not. These very strong women have very strong opinions. I often say I come from a long line of bossy women. Women's roles have changed drastically in my lifetime, yet the spoken and unspoken expectations can be overwhelming. In these days there is so much more freedom but judgement as much as always.
Mary has been serving the gathering at their home while her sister sits with the men, a taboo in their society. Their duties and responsibilites were clear, taught to them by mothers and grandmothers. Martha, in coming to Jesus, might just have been protecting her sister's reputation, as acting out of jealousy and exhaustion. Jesus says very liberating words. Both Martha and Mary, along with all women, have the right to sit and learn with the men. It has taken thousands of years for things to change, but they have been. We often divide women into Marthas and Marys, yet Jesus invites us all to the liberation of love. We are invited to set faith over culture, love over judgement.
Today, I ask God to help me always choose to support those who are trying to grow in faith and learn how to love. May we all walk today with the eyes of Jesus, who sees all welcome at the table, all children of the living Creator.

No comments: