Saturday, November 30, 2019

Advent One

December 1, 2019 ADVENT 1 YEAR A


Jesus said to the disciples, “But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and they knew nothing until the flood came and swept them all away, so too will be the coming of the Son of Man. Then two will be in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. Two women will be grinding meal together; one will be taken and one will be left. Keep awake therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But understand this: if the owner of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour.” Matthew 24:36-44




                                                    Mary Letter Day One

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

I do not know what to say or do. I could only think of you in your confinement and complicated situation. You might just understand what I have to say. Clearly, I am not able to talk to Mamma or Papa. They would be so angry and probably banish me from home. I am not ready to live on my own. I hope you will send me advice, carefully worded so as not to alarm them.

I have done nothing wrong, yet I feel like a criminal. I have had a very powerful and strange dream, a visit by an angel. It was so real and so frightening that I have kept it to myself. An angel told me I would get pregnant, bear a son, the Savior of the world. Can you believe it? I cannot tell Mamma about my dreams. I can barely think on it myself. I am not worthy, not holy, not a special girl at all. The boys don't come around here, and I only have a few girl friends. I am not particularly pretty or bright. 

To top it off, my monthly visitor has not appeared. I am so terrified. I have barely been out of the house, let alone been on a date with anyone. Our agreement, me and Joseph, was that we would marry some day. But right now he's too busy, doing building work down in the city. I haven't seen him in months. Oh, he will hate me! I m sure he will turn his back on me. I've done nothing, but I am in terrible trouble! 

I'm sorry, Auntie, for dumping all of this on your lap. You have enough worries, but I do so need your advice.

love always,

Mary




Collect

Almighty God, give us grace to cast away the works of darkness, and put on the armor of light, now in the time of this mortal life in which your Son Jesus Christ came to visit us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come again in his glorious majesty to judge both the living and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

1 comment:

zenpooh01 said...

Thank you tears everywhere
🙏🏽🕯📿❤