Saturday, February 22, 2020

Beloved

                       

                                                  Last Sunday After Epiphany

                                                          February 23, 2020

Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. Then Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, “This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!” When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Get up and do not be afraid.” And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone.

As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus ordered them, “Tell no one about the vision until after the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.” Matthew 17:1-9

Sometimes it seems like yesterday when I went to be with my sister, who was dying. I had flown from Baltimore, where we lived, having left my small children behind. I knew I wanted to be there. I was newly ordained, and as much as I tried, all of my training escaped me, and I was trembling as I entered her hospital room. There she was, beautiful, with no hair, beaming in her brokenness, with  my parents, sitting on opposite sides surrounding her. It will be the vision I hold on to, the one of the promise that these folks are blessed and changed in glory. Love breaks us and changes us and gives us glimpses of heaven, the eternal seat of love.

Jesus and three disciples have a moment alone before the whole group headed, for the final time, into Jerusalem. This mountain top moment, this transfiguration gave the disciples a glimpse of glory, a vision of the intimate relationship of the Creator to Jesus and all creation. We are not abandoned to death, but indeed, surrounded and swept up by love.

Today, I ask God to help me face the loss and fears of the days ahead knowing the depth of divine love that surrounds us all. May we all hold on to the vision of the Beloved and be love for the world in need.

No comments: