Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Feast of Paul Cuffee


" A little while, and you will no longer see me, and again a little while, and you will see me." Then some of his disciples said to one another, ‘What does he mean by saying to us, “A little while, and you will no longer see me, and again a little while, and you will see me”; and “Because I am going to the Father”?’ "Jesus knew that they wanted to ask him, so he said to them, ‘Are you discussing among yourselves what I meant when I said, “A little while, and you will no longer see me, and again a little while, and you will see me”? "Very truly, I tell you, you will weep and mourn, but the world will rejoice; you will have pain, but your pain will turn into joy." 

"When a woman is in labor, she has pain, because her hour has come. But when her child is born, she no longer remembers the anguish because of the joy of having brought a human being into the world.
So you have pain now; but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you. ";On that day you will ask nothing of me. Very truly, I tell you, if you ask anything of the Father in my name, he will give it to you." Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete"'. John 16:16-24


A little west of the junction of the old road to Riverhead is a small tract of land owned by the Shinnecock tribe of Indians, although how it came into their possession is unknown. Upon this tract is a plain marble tombstone, surrounded by a neat fence. This marks the last resting place of Rev. Paul Cuffee. The tombstone tells its own story: "Erected by the New York Missionary Society, in memory of the Rev. Paul Cuffee, an Indian of the Shinnecock tribe, who was employed by the Society for the last thirteen years of his life, on the Eastern part of Long Island, where he labored the fidelity and success. Humble, pious and indefatigable in testifying the gospel of the grace of God, he finished his course with joy on the 7th of March, 1812, aged 55 years and 3 days". . . . The journeyings of Paul Cuffee extended from Poosepatuck to Montauk, and were made on foot.

— from A History of Long Island, from Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Vol. 2, by William S Pelletreau (1905).




Paul Cuffee became ordained in the Presbyterian Church in his late twenties, around the time of the Amiercan Revolution. He served his people tirelessly and fought for their spiritual and physical survival with all of his being. He was loved and honored by his people and many others. In a time when Naitve people were excluded from the gifts of freedom that our infant nation was claiming, he claimed those for his people and share the gifts of Christ's love as well.

I ask God, to help me, and all of our Indigenous leaders, to be strengthened by the example of Saint Paul Cuffee, who in very challenging times gave his heart and soul for the Gospel and for his people. May we be servants, following his example, in a world that needs it more than ever.


Collect

Almighty God, who empowers evangelists and preachers: Help us to proclaim your Word with power, like your servant Paul Cuffee, that more might come to a deeper life in you; in the Name of your Son Jesus Christ, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments: