Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Bartholomew




A dispute arose among the disciples as to which one of them was to be regarded as the greatest. But Jesus said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those in authority over them are called benefactors. But not so with you; rather the greatest among you must become like the youngest, and the leader like one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. “You are those who have stood by me in my trials; and I confer on you, just as my Father has conferred on me, a kingdom, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.” Luke 22:24-30



Loving Creator you show us the way
through dark and stormy long nights
through the blazing sun of summer days
and shelter us in the deep winter cold.

Bartholomew the disciple was humble
he suffered much and cared for many
he did not shy away from the challenge
nor fight for recognition and honor.

We ache for honors and accolades
wanting to be first, wanting to win
and we often overlook others' needs
selfishly taking more than enough.

Help us today to be like Bartholomew
living lives of service and of prayer
rejoicing in kindness and peace
loving the world in your name. Amen.


No comments: