Monday, February 6, 2023

One Such Child


They went on from there and passed through Galilee. Jesus did not want anyone to know it; for he was teaching his disciples, saying to them, “The Son of Man is to be betrayed into human hands, and they will kill him, and three days after being killed, he will rise again.” But they did not understand what he was saying and were afraid to ask him. Then they came to Capernaum; and when he was in the house he asked them, “What were you arguing about on the way?” But they were silent, for on the way they had argued with one another who was the greatest. He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, “Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all.” Then he took a little child and put it among them; and taking it in his arms, he said to them, “Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.” John said to him, “Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.” But Jesus said, “Do not stop him; for no one who does a deed of power in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me. Whoever is not against us is for us. For truly I tell you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ will by no means lose the reward.” Mark 9:30-41 

I am always reassured when I read the Gospel stories that show the disciples cutting up and being very human. Like us, they fought over foolish things, and this gives me great hope since I am so flawed and can find myself fussing over all the wrong things. If those who were closest to the living Christ were still human and imperfect, then we can admit our mistakes, make amends and go on. Jesus taught the disciples about servanthood by taking a child in his arms. Not the prettiest or the fanciest, but one, I imagine with sticky fingers, a grubby face and dirty feet. Like we all once were. Let us fall into the loving arms of our Savior, who accepts us just as we are, and open wide our arms to those in need of love's embrace.

Wondrous Creator, who love us all
despite out messiness and our violence
despite our stupid arguments and big egos
you reach out to hold every one of us.

You picked up and embraced a child 
to show us all how to serve and care
that no matter the stature of a person
God's love is reaching to embrace them.

Make us servants of all needing love
make us ready to embrace the difficult
the wiggly, the cranky and the obstinate
knowing you embrace us in all our weakness. Amen.






No comments: