Friday, March 24, 2023

Living Forever


The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever.” He said these things while he was teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum. John 6:52-59

The religious leaders were arguing and confused about Jesus' teaching. Although they did honor their ancestors many did not believe in heaven or the power and presence the dead have. Today we celebrate the feast day of Oscar Romero. His ministry leadership and sacrifice are still changing the world. In many Indigenous tribes, the dead pass over to another world and are still with us. Their lives and their teaching live in us and we are never far from them. Jesus is never far from us when we recognize his life embedded and living in us. I can still hear my friend and mentor, now passed, Owanah Anderson saying to a great "There is no death, only a change of worlds." 

Creator God, who lives with all of us
you teach us the ways of good living
you lift us up when we are in darkness
and set our feet on the right road again.

We think we are alone in the work we do
that our ideas and gifts came from us alone
we do not see those standing in other worlds
who forged paths for us when there were none.

Lord Jesus, help us to see you in everything
and the hand of the Father in all creation
we only live because of your living sacrifice
so may we live knowing you are with us now. Amen.

No comments: