Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Take Up Your Cross


He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, ‘If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.’ And he said to them, ‘Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.’ Mark 8:34-9:1

My cross has changed over the years, or at least my perception of my cross. Being a follower of Jesus requires all of us getting on our feet and moving forward despite our frailties and burdens. I know my own limitations all too well.  My cross has been my gender, the fact that I am an Indigenous woman in a church that does not see us, and my own stubborn attitudes and impatience are plied on that cross. And yet, I also know, in following I am never alone, and that my Savioe always reminds me, "my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Creator God, you call us all to follow you
and you make the path and burden light
when we struggle you lean in and share
carrying our load when we have fallen down.

We are often smug, impatient and foolish
thinking we know more than our teacher
believing we know the answers for others
while we have failed to carry our crosses.

Help us put our feet back on the sacred road
help us follow the way you have often trod
make us joyful as we journey together
sharing the load, singing as we travel on. Amen.

No comments: