Monday, January 29, 2024

Bread of Heaven


Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.’ Then they said to him, ‘What must we do to perform the works of God?’ Jesus answered them, ‘This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.’ So they said to him, ‘What sign are you going to give us then, so that we may see it and believe you? What work are you performing? Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, “He gave them bread from heaven to eat.” ’ Then Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.’ They said to him, ‘Sir, give us this bread always.’ Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive away; for I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day.’ John 6:27-40

Every culture across our globe has a "bread" that is essential and important. Rarely are they fancy breads but rather the staple of life. Another way to think of these breads is as manna, which was sent to the traveling tribes of Israel for sustenance in the desert. The bread of survival. Many folks know about fry bread, a staple in Indigenous communities and found at pow wows across the country.  Fry bread is not ancient, but rather the bread of survival. When most of our peoples were sequestered on reservations and wards of the federal government, fry bread came about because it could be made from the commodities handed out to the communities. White flour, salt, shortening and baking powder were common. These commodities were similar to what was provided in federal prisons. So, fry bread now symbolizes for many of us, that bread of life, the food of survival, the manna that got us through. And  Jesus provides us all with the sustenance that gets us through the deserts, the dark valleys and the places where life is challenged on all sides. That manna from heaven.

Generous Creator, you provide for our needs
sending manna from heaven when we wander
sending angels to help us when we have fallen
and new paths away from hurt and violence.

Too often we mistake people's care for us
when it is only a way to take control of us
yet you are the bread of life that feeds us
and does not control us but sets us free.

Help us live in these sacred and holy places
not seeing them as conquests but as gift
as you are gift and sign from heaven's love
and will bring us all to safe and gentle harbors. Amen.

No comments: