Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Throwing Stones


The Jews took up stones again to stone him. Jesus replied, ‘I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these are you going to stone me?’ The Jews answered, ‘It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you, but for blasphemy, because you, though only a human being, are making yourself God.’ Jesus answered, ‘Is it not written in your law, “I said, you are gods”? If those to whom the word of God came were called “gods”—and the scripture cannot be annulled— can you say that the one whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world is blaspheming because I said, “I am God’s Son”? If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me. But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.’ Then they tried to arrest him again, but he escaped from their hands. He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing earlier, and he remained there. Many came to him, and they were saying, ‘John performed no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.’ And many believed in him there. John 10:31-42

We often "throw stones" when someone makes a mistake or confuses us. When frightened, we often strike out, scream and run. In Jewish tradition, a sinner could be stoned, but not until they were examined and tried. These religious leaders were so frightened and challenged by Jesus that they only think they could think to do was to pick up some rocks. Too often, when someone we know has done many good things for us, we condemn them as soon as it looks like they made a mistake. We gossip, we post cruel things online and we try to damage them. When faced with new and challenging things, we are invited to react, not with some ancient reptile brain, fight, flight or free, but instead be curious and always loving.

Wondrous Creator, you made us in your image
with intellect, capacity, curiosity and compassion
making us capable of wonder and joyous surprise.

We see and hear so much that confuses us these days
that we reach for cruel words and sharps stones
letting fear and dread silence our love and capacity.

Remake us in your image today so we might love first
welcoming those who are not like us but offer us love
and making room in our world for their gifts and impact. Amen.

No comments: