I have no haughty looks.
I do not occupy myself
with great matters,
or with things that are
too hard for me.
But I still my soul and make it quiet,
like a child upon its mother's breast;
my soul is quieted within me.
O Israel, wait upon the Lord,
from this time forth for evermore.
Psalm 131
"I went to bed with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair." This is the opening line of one of my favorite children's books ever. Judith Viorst wrote a great story about bad days, and wrote from reality, about her boys. The line, "some days are like this, even in Australia" is powerful on our worst days. Alexander threatens throughout to run away to Australia. Bad days make us want to run away, all of us, young and old. There is always a small child in each of us who needs to be held and comforted when it seems life is completely against us. I've had many days like that. And I have learned that the only place I can run is to the arms of our loving Creator.
A Prayer for All Having a Really Bad Day
We are created in your image, Lord,
but we are feeble and truly disappointed.
The world doesn't see our hurt and sorrow
but you do and you draw us close.
Someone we trusted betrayed us Lord
and we are hurt and want revenge.
Somehow, we did all the right things
and life imploded right in front of us.
When we tried to fix things for the better
everything came falling down upon us.
We want to scream and we want to lash out
running away seems like a good idea.
Lord, shower us with you mercy today
help us to feel you loving arms surround us
and rock us gently to a healing sleep. Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment