Saturday, August 28, 2010

Light of the World


Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” So the Pharisees said to him, “You are bearing witness about yourself; your testimony is not true.” Jesus answered, “Even if I do bear witness about myself, my testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. John 8:12-15

The late August sunshine is bright but just a slight less intense than July. At the beach yesterday afternoon, it was slightly painful to watch the tourists try to soak the most out of the last days of summer. They tried to be louder and more athletic, dragging home worthless treasures to desperately hold onto summer as they pack up and head home. Cameras flashed in the strong daylight. Hopes were high to capture and preserve the boundless fun everyone was trying to have. Large groups of extended families called to each other and shared food, not willing to act like things were quickly coming to an end. The days end sooner this time in the summer and people flock to watch the sun set. As if they can catch a permanence, a light that will last forever. The light defines us, reminds us and remakes us with each season.

Jesus said to the religious leaders who were challenging him that he was the light of the world. He wanted them to understand that the brilliance of God's love, incarnate in him, was available and living for all. The anxiety about the end of summer and end of life is quieted in a relationship with God.

This day, I want to remember that living in the light of God means living with the promise of renewal and hope even in the darkest night. It means burning away self-judgment and doubt and living in the light which brings renewal and forgiveness in its shadow.

No comments: