Saturday, August 14, 2010

Take up yor bed and walk


Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Aramaic called Bethesda, which has five roofed colonnades. In these lay a multitude of invalids—blind, lame, and paralyzed. One man was there who had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had already been there a long time, he said to him, “Do you want to be healed?” The sick man answered him, “Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, and while I am going another steps down before me.” Jesus said to him, “Get up, take up your bed, and walk.” And at once the man was healed, and he took up his bed and walked. John 5:2-9

One's bed is a sanctuary of sorts. I know that when I am traveling, particularly after a long journey away from home, thoughts of my own bed make me ache to be home. It's not a special or fancy bed, but it is mine and it is familiar, comfortable and speaks of family and home. When one is sick, one takes to one's bed. When we are injured, we are often bedridden or confined. For those who have suffered with bad backs, one's bed becomes ones whole world. The view from one's bed can often be limiting and constraining and a confined person can weep for want of freedom of movement. The bed can isolate one from all the household activities.

The man who Jesus found by the side of the pool had limited vision, a confined sense of self and a very limited expectation for life. He just wanted to move from the spot, from his bad. He needed help and no one would provide it. Jesus, full of God's love and compassion imagine more for him - strong legs and strong arms with which he could walk away with his bed in his hand. Jesus not only healed him but expanded his field of vision, his possibilities and his capacities. Through God's love he was made more whole than he could have imagined. How many of us could not even imagine how God worked and has worked in our lives for our healing and wholeness.

Today, on this spacious Saturday, I want to open my heart and mind to God's healing in my life. I want to open my eyes to the possibilities rather than my known limitations. May God grant us all the willingness to take up our beds and walk. A new found freedom awaits all of us as we welcome the love which changes hearts, minds and vision.

No comments: