Friday, March 11, 2011

Following


“Behold, the Lamb of God!” The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. Jesus turned and saw them following and said to them, “What are you seeking?” And they said to him, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?” He said to them, “Come and you will see.” So they came and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day, for it was about the tenth hour. One of the two who heard John speak and followed Jesus was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. He first found his own brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ). He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter). John 1:36-42

I took a long walk the other night, in the rain, to clear my head among other things. Sometimes walking at night helps me to think and to pray. Not many people walking, if any, and few cars driving by. The shadows are deep and there is space to think and dream. I thought I wasn't following any path, I though I was just going where my feet led me. But then I realized I was following a walk I had taken many times as a child, a walk to the school yard, a walk to turn and face the past so as to face the future. Sometimes following God for me is a clear path and a clear call. And some days, it is walking, following until I am aware of where God is inviting me to go. It is often also a call to enter into the storm of life, trusting that the path will lead me to a deeper relationship with God. Stepping out is the important part of following in order to see and have insight.

The disciples encountered Jesus and they were confused. John had made some statements and they wanted to understand what was going on. Jesus asked them what they were seeking and they answered by asking Jesus where he was staying. They didn't really know what they were seeking, really. They just knew they were being spiritually yanked and overwhelmed by the wrenching change within, they asked to know where Jesus put his head. They wanted some direction, any direction at all. They wanted to follow on a path, even though they could not understand why. They needed to step out and follow in order to understand.

Today I ask God to give me the strength to take the first steps on this new journey of deeper relationship and faith. I pray for courage and patience as I follow a new road. I know from experience that God always make clear in time the way ahead. I ask that I can concentrate on the small steps of today so that my journey might be always towards the heart of God.

No comments: