Thursday, March 31, 2011


So he said to them again, “I am going away, and you will seek me, and you will die in your sin. Where I am going, you cannot come.” So the Jews said, “Will he kill himself, since he says, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come’?” He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.” So they said to him, “Who are you?” Jesus said to them, “Just what I have been telling you from the beginning. I have much to say about you and much to judge, but he who sent me is true, and I declare to the world what I have heard from him.” They did not understand that he had been speaking to them about the Father. So Jesus said to them, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just as the Father taught me. And he who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.” As he was saying these things, many believed in him. So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”John 8:21-32

It is Thursday afternoon and we are finally slowly resurfacing after two solid days of moving. The truck has gone back to the rental place and our bed is set up. All the boxes and bins are stored in my mother’s garage and basement. We have so much unpacking to do but at least we had a full night’s sleep and will take the rest in small chunks. It feels like coming up to the surface for air after a long time submerged. Breaking through the surface, drinking in fresh air and facing the light of day – it seems like a long time coming and yet it seems right on time. When divers resurface, they are reminded to come up slowly, so as to acclimate to the pressure and the surface. It takes time to acclimate and that is what we plan to take – plenty of time.

Jesus took the time to linger - in prayer, with the disciples, with the crowds and alone in prayer with God. The importance of taking time to a faithful life and abundant life cannot be underscored enough. He also knew when the time was right to move and the time was right to stay put – all because he spent time talking to God, learning the landscape and knowing he was at home in God no matter what transpired.

Today, as the rain pours down and they predict a nor’easter for tomorrow, I ask God to help me take plenty of time with everything to enjoy the fullness of this new found life. Even familiar territory can seem like the surface of the moon. I pray that we can take the time that is needed to make a home and to know that where ever we find our selves, we have a home with God.

No comments: