Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Prepared for the World to Change


“From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that he is near, at the very gates. Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

“But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard, keep awake. For you do not know when the time will come. It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his servants in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to stay awake. Therefore stay awake—for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning— lest he come suddenly and find you asleep. And what I say to you I say to all: Stay awake.” Mark 13:28-37


I remember packing for summer Girl Scout camp. We stayed in large group tents and were only able to bring a certain amount of personal things. On the other hand, we had to have all the things on the list they provided - a canteen, flashlight, small knife, ditty bag, back pack, etc. I felt like an explorer preparing for a mission of discovery, as if the whole world rested on my shoulders. I liked the feeling, it made me feel important at 10, to pack carefully, and to be ready for everything that was ahead.

Jesus continues his discussion with the disciples and with us about radical change and end times. We live in times of radical change and most people feel ill equipped to deal with it. Likewise the disciples faced being without their teacher, their leader and living into a new world without his physical presence. Jesus reminded them to be awake and alert, to be prepared. The world will and does change in an instant. Life begins and ends, sometimes without warning.

Today, I ask God to help me keep my eyes on the horizon and my heart open to what God has prepared for me. I want to be alert to the changing needs around me, so that my hands and my heart might always be open. May this day invite us all to ready to love in new ways.

No comments: