Saturday, September 17, 2011

Faithful Stewards


This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God. I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another. For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it? 1 Corinthians 4:1-7

Today I took the opportunity to visit the Mission of San Felipe in Ibarra with many other bishops and their spouses. We were received with open arms, welcomed with kindness and thanked for all the care and support they have been sent. The group also gathered funds today and made a donation to the ongoing work of the mission which is serving so many with so little. On our return we stopped in the crafts market at Oltovalo, site of an extensive indigenous crafts market. Everyone we encountered were kind and generous, patient with our language challenges and our confusion. Beauty was everywhere, in the simplest of crafts. It was apparent they do so much with so little and they beautify the world with what they have.

Paul reminds us today that we have been given the responsibility of stewards, caretakers of the Gospel, along with our fellow people, this precious earth, and the abundance we have received. Our job is not t squander but to share what we have, bringing light beauty and love in God's name.

As this long day closes and the sun winds down in the sky, I want to raise my thanksgiving for the incredible abundance we know. I also want to ask God to help each one of us here, share freely what we have, make the most of our time and talents for the service of the world.

No comments: