Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Narrow Gate


Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will recognize them by their fruits. Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Matthew 7:13-21

The Narrow Gate

The temptation is there always
to give in to the wide alluring vistas
the self-indulgent opulence
the cubic zirconium fake brilliance
when mining truth and beauty
is such back breaking labor.

Some days we just want easy
sliding in to first and winning
the game we would sell our souls
and our children if we could have
an easy time of it today.

One day, the hard labor rewarded
we will see the vineyards the orchards
swollen with ripe delicious fruit
we will know the blessings
if we can know this narrow gate
this dark valley, this labor
that never seems to end.

"Yeah though I walk through
the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for thou art with me."

As the tears roll and the taunts ignite
I remember your words and your love
you whispered and promised a way ahead
and despite my whimpering and pain
you walk beside me holding my hand.

"Thou preparest a table before me
in the presence of my enemies, thou
annointeth my head with oil."

The dark may close in and the rain persist
the waves cover me and the light fail
yet I know this narrow gate opens my heart
to yours, my desire for love that has
no end and no beginning.

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in
the house of the Lord forever."

I will find away through for I am not alone
I can know abundance even in these times
and when the shadows near and the devil breathes
I know my Creator draws close for love
covers me as a cloak against the elements
as an eternal shield raised
against the temporary armies of vanity.

No comments: