Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Hour has Come


When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.
“I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. John 17:1-8



Today I am undergoing surgery to correct some severe spine problems. These next few blogs are pre-written, since I do not know exactly how long it will be before I am able to write again. It seems appropriate for Lent, this healing journey that I am embarking on. It will be a time of being remade, of patience and introspection, of asking for help and being grateful for the care and kindness I am given. It is a time of discovery and renewing of relationships, with God and with one another. My time has come to undergo the surgery and to trust God with the recovery and healing.

Jesus knew his time had come. Everything he had done in the recent past was a prelude to the passion. He knew few people would understand what he had to go through. Less would understand why. But throughout he knew himself to be in God's hands, held closely and watched even as he faced horrible pain, ridicule, betrayal and death. God made flesh offered his life, a once and for all sacrifice for the entire world. He prayed for his disciples and he prayed for us today, asking that we would know we were loved, and know we were held in God's loving arms.

Today I ask for your prayers as I go through this surgery that God may help me use this time to deepen our relationship and my trust. May this Lenten journey be a time of patient growth and sweet learning, so that my life might be used by God for the love and care of others. May God bless us all as we make our lenten pilgrimages, where ever they might take us, so that we might spread God's love around us as we go.



Jesus

No comments: