Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Walking in the Light of God


Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” So the Pharisees said to him, “You are bearing witness about yourself; your testimony is not true.” Jesus answered, “Even if I do bear witness about myself, my testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In your Law it is written that the testimony of two people is true. I am the one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me.” They said to him therefore, “Where is your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” These words he spoke in the treasury, as he taught in the temple; but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come. John 8:12-20

Although it has clouded over this morning last night it was gloriously clear. A full moon hung in the sky over the Bear Mountain Parkway, conjuring up images from a Washington Irving story. The sky was full of light and the world below was full of dramatic shadows. After a long day at the hospital, sitting by our daughter's bedside, the moon was a reminder of brighter days and more possibilities.

Jesus is talking to the people about his role as light of the world, son of the father, the holy connection and conduit of God's love. Jesus is reminding us all of our embedded life in the love of God. No matter where we walk or what we have to walk through, we are walking in God's light, on pathways cleared by love and redemption. We are not alone nor in the shadows on the hardest of climbs. We are never forgotten at the farthest margins of the world. God is still shining light on our path, God is still sending hope and strength to guide our steps.

Today I ask God for the eyes to see the light of love on the darkest days and the heart to embrace the challenges ahead with hope and courage. May we walk with the light of God showering down upon us, trusting that what we fear will be vanquished, what we don't know will become familiar and those whom we fear will become family as we walk in the light of God.

No comments: