Friday, April 25, 2014

Idle Tales



But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb, taking the spices that they had prepared. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they went in, they did not find the body. While they were perplexed about this, suddenly two men in dazzling clothes stood beside them. The women were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be handed over to sinners, and be crucified, and on the third day rise again.” Then they remembered his words, and returning from the tomb, they told all this to the eleven and to all the rest. Now it was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women with them who told this to the apostles. But these words seemed to them an idle tale, and they did not believe them. But Peter got up and ran to the tomb; stooping and looking in, he saw the linen cloths by themselves; then he went home, amazed at what had happened. Luke 24:1-12

Mary's Journal

 I am on my way back to Nazareth and won't be able to write for a while. We have been waiting around for days as the disciples huddled together, fearful and anxious, not knowing what to do. They can't seem to decide whether we are truthful or not, they are afraid of the authorities who they believe want them dead. They cannot leave until they know for sure what has happened to Jesus, truly. Some believe us and others do not. So they argue. I want to go home. My family needs to know what I have witnessed with my own eyes. They need some closure and I am sure the rumors they are hearing are frightful.

We will rise up early and be home before the sun sets for the Sabbath. My children and grandchildren need to hear the story, the whole story. I am sure the crucifixion and the missing body have made it to them. But they need to know what I know. They need to know that God showed us that Jesus lived and died to be resurrected, taking victory over death. They need to know that God is working even when we are in the tomb, even when all hope is gone. I need to see my children, and their little ones. I need to hold them in my arms and reassure them. For all I have lived through, all God has asked of me, they deserve to know the whole story.

My prayer this day is for speedy travel and safe home. May my children and grand babies, who I know are so worried, be reassured and joyful. May they see that all our lives have meaning and there is hope in God even when everything is dark. Gracious God, let me carry your love home today.
 

No comments: