Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Testing


Again Jesus and the disciples came to Jerusalem. As he was walking in the temple, the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders came to him and said, "By what authority are you doing these things? Who gave you this authority to do them?" Jesus said to them, "I will ask you one question; answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things. Did the baptism of John come from heaven, or was it of human origin? Answer me." They argued with one another, "If we say, 'From heaven,' he will say, 'Why then did you not believe him?' But shall we say, 'Of human origin'?" - they were afraid of the crowd, for all regarded John as truly a prophet. So they answered Jesus, "We do not know." And Jesus said to them, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things." Mark 11:27-33 


Mary's Diary Day Two


This is madness. He is constantly provoking the religious leadership and running headlong into trouble. All the years we protected him as a child, hiding him away and living in strange places until things cooled off. And now, he is standing right in the temple, for all the world to see and arguing with the chief priests and scribes. The people who put up with argument and testing the least. I know nothing good will come of this and yet what man listens to his mother. It's as if he has lost all sense. When I ask him he is short with me and tells me he is doing what God tells him to do. I am just trying to keep him safe and alive. He seems to be heading for trouble soon, and I am so frightened for him. I am his mother and can no longer keep him safe. No longer can I do what I have done for so long. I just have to sit on the sidelines, watching and listening. I pray so much these day. I only hope that God is listening to this mother;s heart.

Today, as I sit along on the porch of the temple, I pray that God will keep my child safe. I only want more time, more days with that child, that blessing and challenge, my child. God give me peace as I stand by and watch. Let me not forget all the promises the angels brought, the promises you made, all those years ago.  I will stand by, watching and praying and asking You to be with me now.

No comments: