Friday, May 16, 2014

A New Heart



I will take you from among all nations; *
and gather you from all lands to bring you home.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you; *
and purify you from false gods and uncleanness.
A new heart I will give you *
and a new spirit put within you.
I will take the stone heart from your chest *
and give you a heart of flesh.
I will help you walk in my laws *
and cherish my commandments and do them.
You shall be my people, *
and I will be your God.   Ezekiel 36:24-28

Today is a glorious day in Sitka. The sun is shining and it is warm so everyone is walking around in shorts and tank tops. This little village is under the spell of lovely weather and no one seems capable of doing much else than wandering outside. We took our lunch down to the cove at Stargaaven and watch the water gentle lap onto the shore. The quiet and beauty was astounding. On days like this it is easy to have a soft heart, and an open spirit willing to take in everything and everyone. Other days, it is much harder.

This portion of Ezekiel reminds us that God's promises are for all of us and coming soon. Even when we feel like strangers and outcasts, even when there is only lack and failure, even when we have given up hope - God is gathering us up and drawing us in. We are in the process of being made God's people, even when the circumstances obscure that change. God is cherishing us and mending us, despite the evidence to the contrary.

Today I ask God to help me keep myself focused on the promises. Little challenges, and uncertain futures can pull our focus away, but God is acting for us and moving us towards home, today.


No comments: