Saturday, July 19, 2014

Poured Out


While they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he broke it, gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will never again drink of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.”
When they had sung the hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. Then Jesus said to them, “You will all become deserters because of me this night; for it is written,
‘I will strike the shepherd,
and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’
But after I am raised up, I will go ahead of you to Galilee.” Peter said to him, “Though all become deserters because of you, I will never desert you.” Jesus said to him, “Truly I tell you, this very night, before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.” Peter said to him, “Even though I must die with you, I will not deny you.” And so said all the disciples. Matthew 26:26-35 

As we drive home from the rehabilitation facility, on an almost daily basis  I am struck by how fragile and resilient we humans are. I sat in the physical therapy room watching my mother struggle to regain the use of her arms and legs, diligently counting the repetitions and putting her whole body into the effort. She is giving it her all, despite the challenges of being 91 and having a spinal chord injury and surgery. She, and the others around her, put their whole selves into the work of getting better and stronger. 

Jesus sits with his disciples and tell them that his life will be poured out for them, and for all of us. The words, so familiar in the Eucharist, are a shock and confusion to those gathered with him. They didn't want to hear it, they didn't want to believe it. Some would run from it. And yet, God reminds us today that God's love is poured out for us but never spent. God's love is constantly poured out in abundance for us. God's love is more dedicated and resilient than any human experience we have. And in Christ, who offered his all for us, we find an abundance of love, healing, forgiveness and renewal.

Today, I ask God to give me the eyes of love. May we see all the blessings of God's love in our daily walk, and be reminded of all that God has done and is doing for us. May we never lose hope, but continue to stretch and grow, strengthening our love and faith as we go forward today.

No comments: