Friday, November 28, 2014

Servant Leaders

 

Jesus said, "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, `Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?' And the king will answer them, `Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.' "Matthew 25:31-40

Servant Leaders

They were young and regal
bowed to and honored
feeling the weight of suffering
that was afflicting their people.

Their land had been taken over
their lives changes forever
once a paradise with enough for all
now an abundance for only a few.

They heard the cried and went
 to the beaches and the streets
the places of illness and loss
love breaking down social barriers.

She wrote sweet hymns for God
and gave her time to serve
They were brave and tender
in the face of brutality and violence.

Locked up by her captors she reached
across walls and through windows
her love for God and for the people
shattered the known world forever.

Let us today go out to the streets
to the blankets on filthy steps
to the toss aside and the abandoned
and welcome God on earth. 


O Sovereign God, who raised up (King) Kamehameha (IV) and (Queen) Emma to be rulers in Hawaii, and inspired and enabled them to be diligent in good works for the welfare of their people and the good of your Church: Receive our thanks for their witness to the Gospel; and grant that we, with them, may attain to the crown of glory that never fades away; through Jesus Christ our Savior and Redeemer, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments: