Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Joy Complete

Jesus prayed to the Father, “While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth.” John 17:12-19

Today I fly to Montana with a heavy heart. I go with great joy for the work I am able to do and the wonderful people I get to work with, but leaving my family is especially hard this time. Losing my mother took a great toll on me. She was ready to go, I know, but I was not ready for her to leave us. Time comes when we all have to depart, whether for a trip or for another world beyond. Even Jesus had to pray himself through the leave taking and through the goodbyes said to all the peopled he loved.

We hear Jesus speaking prayers to his father. An intimate conversation, and yet a very clearly understood one. We are invited to speak to God as a child to a loving parent, as a family member to the one who knows us best. This passage from John gives us an intimate and tender look at the relationship of God to God's child on earth - and shines light on the us as well. We are children of a living, listening and compassionate God.

Today I entrust all those I love to the loving and listening hands of God. May we live today with the knowledge of how loved and cherished we are. May we tenderly care for those around us and lovingly acknowledge God's constant and unfailing love for each of us.

No comments: