Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Family of God


Jesus said, “When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it wanders through waterless regions looking for a resting place, but it finds none. Then it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ When it comes, it finds it empty, swept, and put in order. Then it goes and brings along seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and live there; and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So will it be also with this evil generation.”
While he was still speaking to the crowds, his mother and his brothers were standing outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.” But to the one who had told him this, Jesus replied, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” And pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.” Matthew 12:43-50 

Family of God

Too many want to exclude some
the ones that frighten in their difference
those who seek asylum from violence
and those who cross lines to be free.

Too many fear what they do not know
suspecting trouble from innocent hunger
suspecting abuse from the weakest
hoarding what has always been too much.

Too many of us are the family of God
so we break away, we separate
as if God won't follow them or us
as if we can define the family of God.

The colors of God's people are all colors
the ways and traditions are many
the name for God's people are all y'all
me and you and everyone.

No comments: