Sunday, May 8, 2016

Love Within

Jesus prayed for his disciples, and then he said. "I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
"Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them." John 17:20-26

 Today is Mother's Day and people all over are honoring and celebrating their mothers. As a mother of three, I cannot begin to describe the depth of love that is within me for my daughters. There is nothing in the world that would tear that out of me and nothing they do can temper or change that love. I know I got that imprint of love from my mother, Betty WalkingStick Theobald, as she was relentless in her care for us, no matter our age or circumstances. The depth of love that God has imprinted on us from mother to child is beyond understanding.

Jesus is praying for his disciples as nay parent does for their children. Aching for their protection and understanding, desiring most that they know they are loved and never alone. He has planted the love of God deep within each of them and is praying that they will never doubt or fear the depth of that love. And Jesus intercedes for us as well, at all times and in all places we find ourselves - that we might know we are embedded in the heart of God.

Today I ask God to help me demonstrate the depth of love implanted in my heart. May we live for others so that they too might know the saving power of God's love in their lives today.


Collect
O God, the King of glory, you have exalted your only Son Jesus Christ with great triumph to your kingdom in heaven: Do not leave us comfortless, but send us your Holy Spirit to strengthen us, and exalt us to that place where our Savior Christ has gone before; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.


No comments: