Sunday, January 21, 2018

Being Called


After John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news.”
As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the sea—for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, “Follow me and I will make you fish for people.” And immediately they left their nets and followed him. As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets. Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him. Mark 1:14-20

I grew up around fishermen, loving the visits to the fish market as well as sitting on the shore with a rod in my hand, hoping to land the biggest fish. My brother and I caught minnows and sold them for bait to tourists to fish with. People who fish for a livelihood have to be strong and hearty and willing to work long hours. And serving on an island where fishing was the main economy, I learned again how important and challenging it can be. No one puts their nets down and walk away easily as it becomes part of one's being and identity.

Jesus walked along the Sea of Galilee and invited fishermen to join him. They were the sons of fishermen, probably fishing had been in the family for generations. It was their identity, and both these sets of brothers, immediately followed him. They were going into the unknown, into unfamiliar territory and yet they answered the call. We know their names and call them saints. And we are invited to follow the call, and step into the unfamiliar, knowing that we follow in their footsteps.

Today, I ask God to help me answer Christ's call in my life. May we all respond with a yes and follow Christ where we are called, trusting that we follow in the footsteps of saints.

No comments: