Friday, January 5, 2018

Christmas 1 - Mary letter 32



“I called to the LORD out of my distress,
and he answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.
You cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me;
all your waves and your billows
passed over me.
Then I said, ‘I am driven away
from your sight;
how shall I look again
upon your holy temple?’
The waters closed in over me;
the deep surrounded me;
weeds were wrapped around my head
at the roots of the mountains.
I went down to the land
whose bars closed upon me forever;
yet you brought up my life from the Pit,
O LORD my God.
As my life was ebbing away,
I remembered the LORD; and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.
Those who worship vain idols forsake their true loyalty. But I with the voice of thanksgiving
will sacrifice to you; what I have vowed I will pay. Deliverance belongs to the LORD!” Jonah 2:2-9 


Dear Auntie Elizabeth,

I was so sick yesterday that I was afraid I couldn't feed the baby or be a good mother. The wise women came and gave me some broth, late in the day and I seemed somewhat better by evening. They think some of the food our relatives brought might have been too strange for my stomach. I do not have much energy but can sit up and feed the baby today easily, though I can't do much else. They brought a wet nurse yesterday for one or two feedings, so I could sleep. They were so helpful and I have grown very fond of these gifted and special women. What would I have done without them? And Joseph, I know he is grateful for their help. He was terribly frightened when I was very sick and fretted as to what he should do.

We are growing as a family everyday and it seems like more than a few weeks that we have been parents, and a true couple. How could I ever live without either of them? We have grown close, and despite our still sometimes awkwardness around one another, Joseph and I laugh often and hold each other close as we fall asleep. Oh I miss my family, but I also have a family now. We belong together, this much is very evident to me. I still catch Joseph looking over at us with wonder, as I sometimes gaze at him holding the baby, and think how blessed I truly am.

Sending much love,

Mary

No comments: