Thursday, August 9, 2018

Greater Things



The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, “Follow me.” Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Philip found Nathanael and said to him, “We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth.” Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” Philip said to him, “Come and see.” When Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him, he said of him, “Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!” Nathanael asked him, “Where did you get to know me?” Jesus answered, “I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you.” Nathanael replied, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!” Jesus answered, “Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these.” And he said to him, “Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.” John 1:43-51 
These past months of recuperation have been tough. There is very little I can do for myself as I am not allowed to bend, lift or twist for another six weeks. My limitations are for the best but sometimes they infuriate me when I cannot do the simple things I desire to do, like taking a large bowl down from a high place. Add the need to walk with a walker and I am often frustrated and impatient. Most of us humans have moments in our lives when our limitations, whether physical, emotional, financial or otherwise, can make us angry and frustrated. On the other hand, when we feel we have no limits, we find ourselves ready to do anything and everything.
The story we find in our Gospel today is about Nathanael coming to follow Jesus. Nathanael is a practical, no nonsense kind of guy. He thinks his friends are saps. Yet Jesus, who knows what Nathanael needs to hear, offers him insight into his own life. Nathanael is gob smacked, as Jesus saw him under the fig tree. Jesus goes on to promise to Nathanael, and all of us, that we will see and do greater things. This is such good news, especially for those living with great limitations.
Today I ask God to help me look beyond my limitations. May we all take seriously God's promise of greater things, and use the time and energy we have serving those around us with love and hope.

No comments: