Monday, October 15, 2018

Daughter and Child

 Now when Jesus returned, the crowd welcomed him, for they were all waiting for him. Just then there came a man named Jairus, a leader of the synagogue. He fell at Jesus’ feet and begged him to come to his house, for he had an only daughter, about twelve years old, who was dying.
As he went, the crowds pressed in on him. Now there was a woman who had been suffering from haemorrhages for twelve years; and though she had spent all she had on physicians, no one could cure her. She came up behind him and touched the fringe of his clothes, and immediately her haemorrhage stopped. Then Jesus asked, ‘Who touched me?’ When all denied it, Peter said, ‘Master, the crowds surround you and press in on you.’ But Jesus said, ‘Someone touched me; for I noticed that power had gone out from me.’ When the woman saw that she could not remain hidden, she came trembling; and falling down before him, she declared in the presence of all the people why she had touched him, and how she had been immediately healed. He said to her, ‘Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace.’
 While he was still speaking, someone came from the leader’s house to say, ‘Your
 daughter is dead; do not trouble the teacher any longer.’ When Jesus heard this,
 he replied, ‘Do not fear. Only believe, and she will be saved.’ When he came to
 the house, he did not allow anyone to enter with him, except Peter, John, and James,
 and the child’s father and mother. They were all weeping and wailing for her; but 
he said, ‘Do not weep; for she is not dead but sleeping.’ And they laughed at him, 
knowing that she was dead. But he took her by the hand and called out, ‘Child, 
get up!’ Her spirit returned, and she got up at once. Then he directed them to give
 her something to eat. Her parents were astounded; but he ordered them to tell no 
one what had happened. 

I am a daughter, wife, mother and grandmother. Being ordained and a bishop is
 secondary to those ministries.  God gave me the responsibility of family as part
 of a tribe and people. I see all that I do from that reference point. This morning, 
"my" magpie greeted me, and he brought a companion. He is always there as I
 head to work every morning. I have always assumed it was a relative watching 
over me, reminding me of God's love and healing in my every day. When I see 
them, I also pray for my family, for those I love, as they are in my heart always
 and my concern for their health and well being is always paramount. God, too, 
holds our healing and safety as paramount.

Today, we read of Jesus having two encounters with women, one young and one, 
an elder. The elder knew that if she could but touch Jesus, she would be healed,
 but it was a taboo for her to do so. She expected to be in terrible trouble, yet 
she persisted. And Jesus, who loved her more than the rules, healed her on the
 spot. He also healed Jaruis' daughter, who had died while he was stopped with 
the elder. Yet, Jesus teaches us that there is more love and healing than we can 
imagine. God does not scrimp or hold back for our sakes. We are invited to 
reinvest our trust, persisting in faith and prayer, for there are more miracles yet
 to come.

Today, I ask God to help me persist in my faith and prayer life. May we 
know God's abundant love as we reach out in love and hope to a world so
 in need of both.

No comments: