Saturday, October 27, 2018

Let Me See Again


For Sunday, October 28th Proper 25

Jesus and his disciples came to Jericho. As he and his disciples and a large crowd were leaving Jericho, Bartimaeus son of Timaeus, a blind beggar, was sitting by the roadside. When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” Many sternly ordered him to be quiet, but he cried out even more loudly, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” Jesus stood still and said, “Call him here.” And they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take heart; get up, he is calling you.” So throwing off his cloak, he sprang up and came to Jesus. Then Jesus said to him, “What do you want me to do for you?” The blind man said to him, “My teacher, let me see again.” Jesus said to him, “Go; your faith has made you well.” Immediately he regained his sight and followed him on the way. Mark 10:46-52

I got my first pair of glasses when I was in college. Of the five children in our family, only two of us were blessed with good vision and neither of us had to have glasses until we were adults. I cannot imagine what it is like to lose one's sight, or to never have seen the world at all. I love the colors around me, the changing light, and seeing the faces of people close by. These days, I have to see the eye doctor every year and my prescription gets stronger every time. For me, and many others, it is a matter of working with trained professionals. Yet, I too, want my faith to be like Bartimaeus, a faith that brings miracles of renewed vison.

Jesus is on the move with his disciples and a crowd around him. One man continues to shout at Jesus, and although everyone is trying to silence him, he persists. Bartimaeus is not going to miss the opportunity of healing. He aches to see again, to be renewed and made whole. All of us do. We are invited today to persist in our faith, despite what the people around us might say. We are invited by our loving Creator to use our voices for the healing of the world, for the purpose of making miracles happen around us.

Today, I ask God to help me be faithful in prayer and expectant of healing in all things. May we be bold and faithful like Bartimaeus, so that we might see again, and use our faculties for the healing of this world.




The Collect
Almighty and everlasting God, increase in us the gifts of faith, hope, and charity; and, that we may obtain what you promise, make us love what you command; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments: